Thursday, January 20, 2011

Score one in the victory column

Sometimes you just have to laugh.

I've been on the phone all week spouting my woes to whoever will listen.  Here's what the respective parties told me:


Case worker:  "I completely understand why you are so upset.  I have to go to their house once a month.  How do you think I feel?  I wish there was something I can do, but I can't.  They are court-ordered visits.  You should try calling the supervisor and see if she can do anything for you."

Supervisor:  "What did the DYFS nurse say?"
Me:  "The caseworker told me she said she didn't think Talen had any bites and that it's not very likely that they would get transfered on clothing."
Supervisor: "Why don't you call the DYFS nurse yourself, so you don't have to get your information from a third party?"
Why don't you walk down the hallway of your office and ask her yourself so you don't have to hear what she says from a fourth party?  

Nurse:  "Oh hello, Mrs. Benson.  I was JUST going to call you."
mmmm hmmmmmm......  
Nurse:  "If the bites were scabies, you would have known sooner because they would have infested your house already.  But since you don't have any problems, we're assuming the parents' bites they have are from bed bugs.  They have had them for the past three weeks."
GRRRRRREAAAAAATTTTTT.....
Nurse:  "There's no real reason to cancel visits because of them since they mostly live in beds and couches and not on people."
Me: "But there is a chance...I mean, what about eggs?  And I'm not going to assume that they can't climb on coats on in diaper bags.  Can you even see them?"
Nurse:  "The dad told me that they're a little bit smaller than a cockroach."
SERIOUSLY?!?!?  


(the next day)
Supervisor again:  "So what did the nurse tell you?"
Me:  "She said it's highly unlikely that people transfer them."
Supervisor:  "See?  It's not a reason to cancel a visit.  And I hate to say this, but this is probably the last visit you'll have to worry about anyway."
Thank you for the stab and then twisting the knife.  You're just lovely people, aren't you?


Law Guardian:  "Well, you could always send Talen covered in a hefty bag and cut a hole in the top for his head." *cackle*cackle*cackle*
Me: "I just don't want my house to be infested."  (not laughing.)
Law Guardian:  "We can't cancel a visit because of bed bugs.  You should just wash his clothes and give him a bath when he gets home."
That's your legal advice????


(9:50 this morning....40 minutes before Josiah gets picked up for his visit)


*Phone rings*
Caseworker:  "I'm calling to let you know that the visit has been canceled this morning because the parents have bed bugs."


Apparently someone somewhere pulled some strings.  Amazing what a little prayer and polite nagging will get you.


I'm doing a happy dance.  And the bugs can have their own dance party....far away from Josiah and my clean home.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Love the appropriate accompanying video, Megan! LOL....keep praying, keep nagging... SOMETHING is bound to happen. We love you.

Unknown said...

You are too funny and so entertaining.

Megan said...

Awww...thanks, Mom. ;o)

Love you too, Aunt Sheree! Thank you!