Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Psalm One: Yielding Fruit in Season




"Blessed is the man who does not walk in the counsel of the wicked...v.1
He is like a tree planted by streams of water, which yeilds its fruits in season and whose leaf does not wither. Whatever he does prospers...v.3
For the LORD watches over the way of the righteous." v. 6a



God, you promise that our ways will prosper if we surround ourselves with Godly influences and are planted firmly in the truth of Your Word. While I am always promised abundant sustenance for my soul, the evidence of Your work in my life will only be revealed in Your timing. It is frustrating to know that You are working and growing me, and that evidence is not yet seen. And yet, you bring me hope knowing that I have more to look forward to.

My sister, Robin, who is quite possibly one of the most talented writers I know, wrote a sonnet that reminds me of the Psalm.

I've heard it said, "The fruit defines the tree."
What shall we say when branch and leaf and root
Are all the measure that our eyes can see?
How shall we name the tree without the fruit?
We may be tempted to assign the blame
Of lacking crop to inactivity
And say the tree does not deserve a name
If idle is what it decides to be.
But if this is our verdict, we despise
The very work by which the fruit is won:
How desperately the root for water cries,
How faithfully the sapling seeks the sun.
If day by day, the tree is slowly grown
In season, by its fruit it will be known.

By Robin M.G. Lawrenz

3 comments:

Robin said...

Hey, that picture looks familiar!
So does that sonnet. :o)

Megan said...

I hope you don't mind, Robin. I wanted to leave a link to your blog, but I didn't know how. Can you tell me?

Robin said...

I don't mind at all. If you want to add a link, go to "edit posts" and highlight the text. Then click on the little world icon (next to the text color), and type or copy and paste the address.