Justin called our case worker yesterday to see where we stand in getting Josiah into a permanent placement with his family. I have been feeling better about the decision, knowing that it is what is best for Josiah and our family.
Some people have asked how I was doing and it comes down to letting the truth of this sink in... the judge that we are dealing with has always been in favor of reuniting foster children with biological families....even in cases where children should clearly stay with foster parents. We have seen this sad outcome happen to a few families that we know that foster. The judge doesn't even consider bonding evaluations sometimes- she will give the bio family opportunity after opportunity for reunification. So, the chances of us actually getting to adopt Josiah when there is a capable biological family member who has his brother? Very improbable. When it was just a great-aunt wanting custody, we had a shot, but now that the grandfather has stepped up, the outcome is pretty predictable. The question isn't "if" Josiah will be taken from our home, it's "when". We are now eager try speed that inevitable process up and get him into his forever home for his sake.
Our case worker sees our perspective and agrees that it is what's best for Josiah. However, yesterday she told us that she is meeting nothing but resistance from a number of people. She has alluded to the fact that some of her supervisors believe that we have been bullied into the decision that we have come to. (Which, I guess if we're being honest, there is truth to that statement.) She says that DYFS says she is rushing things and they want to wait until the next court date until anything is decided. That is in March.
March, people.
I feel emotionally drained. I finally feel like we came to a good and right decision. And again, God shows us that our timing is not His timing. I only pray that when the time comes for the inevitable we will still be in the same place emotionally that we are now.
The case worker is still proactive in trying to move him. She's a feisty one and doesn't care if she ruffles feathers. I really like her.
I am reminded of this verse:
"In his heart a man plans his course, but the Lord determines his steps." Prov. 16:9

3 comments:
Megan,
Just some food for thought...
I know you believe that you made the right decision for Josiah, and I would bet you are probably right on... but that doesn't necessarily mean you should rush things.
You've got a knack for trusting the Lord... just trust that he will continue to give you wisdom and patience, as you mentioned in the verse about timing.
If things hold off until March... look at the bright side: more time with your precious boy. Knowing that you are now on his side, things should hopefully get better with the grandfather and you shouldn't need to worry about three more months of bickering. Perhaps the next three months will be a peaceful end to the battle of the past year and a half. Unlike before, you basically know the outcome now, and you don't need to worry anymore. Instead you can REST, and simply enjoy your time with Josiah and Molly... and focus on the baby to be. ;)
Be patient and rest in the time that God has given you. You can't get it back.
Keeping you all in my prayers,
Brittany J.
PS: I feel like some of this might sound harsh... but I don't mean it too :( Sometimes things just don't come out right on the computer!
Thanks, Brittany.. nope- you didn't sound harsh at all. Good words of wisdom :o) Thanks so much for the kind words and prayers!
Trusting God will work everything out for our greatest good and His greatest glory! Thank you for joining us on our journey!
Megan,
Just wanted you to know that there are prayers all over continuing to be offered up for your family. One of those that I've been asking is for the time of togetherness that you have right now to be one of joy and precious moments.
Judging from the pics of the Christmas decorating that prayer is being answered :-) Remember that in all of this there is always the hope of joys to come as well (yay...little one).
God Bless you and Justin for your loving hearts and willingness to serve and make a difference.
Blessing, Peace, and a Merry Christmas to you both and Josiah and Molly as well.
With Much Love,
Katherine S
Post a Comment