Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Zacchaeus: Days 1 &2

In our new church, there are two wonderful ladies who volunteer to take my daughter and her 3 year old friend, Lily, each week and teach them a Sunday School lesson.  I am so thankful that they take the time to miss a service twice a month to speak truth into their little lives.  Molly learned about Zacchaeus this week and made these paper bag puppets.



We pray with Molly each night before bed, read her a story from the Bible, and pray before we eat, but I'm not very deliberate about teaching Molly the truth of the Scriptures and how to apply it to our lives.   She talks a LOT, and I know she understands more than I think she does, so having her now in Sunday School inspired me to be a little more proactive in teaching her little heart about the things of Jesus.  So yesterday, it was all about the song.


And today we made a little craft to teach about the tree that Zacchaeus climbed.  My sister, Amy, said I should blog about it, so here it is....


I cut strips into a brown paper bag.  (In this case, I just used a Dunkin Donuts bag I happened to have in the car.)
Twisted the center. 

And spread out the branches.
  
Molly and I tore little leaves out of construction paper.  Half way through, she got tired, and I tore and she put them in a bowl. I told her, "We're making a sycamore tree." And she asked, "Is that Zacchia's tree?" My heart did a little victory dance when I realized she's putting it all together.  

And we added the leaves onto the tree with tacky glue.

We used another coloring project from last week's lesson (I think it was Bartamaeus) and turned him into Zacchaeus and glued him in the tree.
I drew Jesus on the chalkboard saying, "Zaccheaus, you come down!  I'm going to your house today!"

 On our chalkboard in the kitchen, our verse comes from the story of Zacchaeus, and we're memorizing it together as a family this week.  

 
       And as I was being a negligent blogging mama, Molly decided to turn her couch over.  I asked, "Molly did you climb up on your couch like Zaccheaus climbed the tree!?" She smiled and said, "Yes!  Just like Zaccheaus.  I climbed!"  It's all about the teachable moments. :) 

2 comments:

Made for You by Amy Plew said...

LOVE it! Thanks for sharing, Megan!

Robin said...

"Is that Zacchia's tree?" I love that girl and how smart she is and what a great mom you are!