Forgive me for picking at scabs. The calendar makes it impossible not to.
While his departure happened so quickly on January 28th, 2011, it has taken months and months for him to really be gone. Little shoes found in closets, pictures on the wall, the stain on the carpet from his juice he spilt that I was so reluctant to clean, his little voice I could still hear after he left. He lingered here for so long. It is the most difficult thing to balance grief and gratefulness. The pendulum still continues to swing a year later.
I have Josiah one-year-old birthday picture on my refrigerator. Just when I thought I was ready to take it down, Molly found it in a drawer and put it back up. So every time I see it, this is the conversation that ensues:
"I miss him," the empty place in my heart groans though no words come out.
"I know," He speaks back to the empty place.
"You make all things beautiful in Your time." I say it to remind Him, but as soon as I speak the words in my heart, I think it's Him reminding me.
"I do. I will. I AM." He says like light piercing darkness.
It used to hurt like a punch in the gut that would take my breath away. Most of the time now though, it feels more like hitting my funny bone, like my body saying, "hey, remember you have an elbow?" I can control when and where I let it happen. Mostly, I let it happen here. So thank you, patient, encouraging reader for letting me air my grief. I know when to knock that place it so I can remember it, feel it, rub it, let God console me, and let Him tell me how He has created all things for His purpose and in His time.
I was re-reading my friend Jen's post a year after her little girl went to Heaven, and so many things she said resonate with me.
"A year is no time. A year is so much time."
Oh it's so true! How can a year both linger painfully long and still feel like warp speed ahead?!?! It must be the pendulum effect. Grief and gratefulness. One slows time. One propels it. With one you are in the arms of the shepherd, the other, you're enjoying the grass. This year I've learned how sweet both times can be!
The anniversary of Josiah leaving our home and finding another is sad because I remember all those difficult details about the box we packed, saying goodbye, crying, and crying, and crying....but I also feel like it's a stake in the ground.
Like Jen said in her post, "I just want the 28th to come and go so I can look and say, “I made it through a year. I can make it through another one.”
We made it through one year without him- every season, every birthday, every holiday- we can make it through another and another and another.
God was good that day Josiah left. He has been good since. He will be good still.
Oh it's so true! How can a year both linger painfully long and still feel like warp speed ahead?!?! It must be the pendulum effect. Grief and gratefulness. One slows time. One propels it. With one you are in the arms of the shepherd, the other, you're enjoying the grass. This year I've learned how sweet both times can be!
The anniversary of Josiah leaving our home and finding another is sad because I remember all those difficult details about the box we packed, saying goodbye, crying, and crying, and crying....but I also feel like it's a stake in the ground.
Like Jen said in her post, "I just want the 28th to come and go so I can look and say, “I made it through a year. I can make it through another one.”
We made it through one year without him- every season, every birthday, every holiday- we can make it through another and another and another.
God was good that day Josiah left. He has been good since. He will be good still.

2 comments:
So glad that God choose you for my best friend to marry. So glad that God choose your family to give Josiah the best start to his life that a child could possibly have. So sad you have to experience the Pain of the Pendulum :-( We love you guys... all FIVE of you :-D
This isn't my normal style, but I've been thinking about you and this post and this anniversary for a few days, and this is what I feel like I need to say, so bear with me...
On my way to work this morning, I had Ginny Owens' song "I Am Nothing" running through my head. It's based on 1 Corinthians 13 and talks about how if I do not love, I am nothing.
1 Corinthians 13:12-13 say:
For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face; now I know in part, but then I will know fully just as I also have been fully known. But now faith, hope, love, abide these three; but the greatest of these is love.
So I was thinking about you and that song and those verses, and I wanted to tell you this:
When faith is hard to muster, and when you don't know what to hope for, you can build your house on love. Because that is something you know deeply. And love, even love that is hurting or sore or confused, is still stronger than anything.
Post a Comment