Monday, January 9, 2012

The New Playroom

I always wanted to have a playroom in my house- a deliberate space away from the television where my kids could make creative messes and not feel the need to clean up if they weren't done with a project.  There is a small room in between my guest room and dining room that we used to call the "foyer" (a place to store strollers and other junk that I didn't have a home for.)  I spent a lot of time on pinterest, Amazon, and target.com before I found all of the pieces that I wanted to make it complete....and here it is!

Here's a before shot...

I used some left-over paint from a large mural project and painted it blue.  Here's a shot before you walk into the room.  This is Sadie's favorite spot.  My sister, Amy made that lovely bunting.  I think it says "it is fun in here" before you walk in.


A little corner for the kitchen...  


I painted some trompe l'oeil frames on the wall for Sadie and Molly's masterpieces to hang.   


We're on a snowman kick at the moment.  



Below the "frames" I painted a brown chalkboard wall.  Did you know chalkboard paint comes in different colors?  



This has got to be my favorite part.  These animal cubes are from Target and target.com.  I was contemplating putting pictures of things that go on the cubes on the fronts, but then I didn't want to have to bother with switching toys and getting more toys in the future, etc. 


These little guys have magnetic strips on the inside of their mouths on the bottom of the nylon mesh,  so Molly can "feed" each cube.  The lion only eats cars, the shark eats blocks, the frog eats balls, the hippo cube has all girly accessories, etc.  If the animal doesn't like what it eats, it spits it out. When they're all full, Molly likes to put each one in their homes and kisses them all goodnight before they take their naps.  Its the most fun WE have ever had cleaning up! 



Here's her little dress-up corner where she can be look at herself in the mirror and spin.  


And a little reading spot.  


I found these little dragonflies on Amazon.  I just love how beautiful and whimsical they are!  



And they match our dragonfly hooks.  



I can't wait until Sadie is big enough to make some creative messes of her own along with Molly and me.  :o)  


This is Molly's favorite thing to do in her playroom right now.  And no, it is not her birthday.

4 comments:

Alyce said...

this is SO COOL!!! i def. want one of these in my house "when i grow up" :D and btw, pinterest is the best thing ever. haha :)

Made for You by Amy Plew said...

What a perfect spot!!! Well done, Megan! I especially love the frames you painted!!!!

Robin said...

Wow, Megan. This is absolutely amazing. I am so impressed by how much utility you're now getting out of what was kind of a useless space. It's also nice that it's right next to the bathroom so when Molly starts potty training you won't have far to go. Those animal cubbies are ADORABLE. I will definitely have to get some. And I love the video, too. Molly is just so creative, and Sadie you can tell that she and Sadie really love each other. Thanks for sharing!!

Unknown said...

Wonderful job, Megan!! I want a "playroom" for myself too. You did a fabulous job in creating such a magical place for the girls!