A little side note...the mediation meeting that was supposed to happen the day before he left ended up getting postponed. Surprise. Surprise. Inefficiency strikes again. Whatever.
Justin is away at an overnight basketball tournament so the little miss and I are kicking it at home together, after deciding that an overnight trip in a hotel two weekends in a row was a little much for both of us. I have a tendency to get a little
But the room isn't theirs anymore. It's hers. I've been having a lot of trouble with pronouns still. Talking about toys and books and TV shows that they like instead of what she likes. I can tell people are uncomfortable when I talk about them instead of just her. I'm trying to make the adjustment. Until then, people just have to deal.
Tonight when I was reading to Molly in their room, I felt the darkness creep up on me, and I could tell if I let it, it was going to swallow me whole. So I did something brave. It was a silly, tiny baby step, but for me, it required me to face a fear that I've had since knowing that their room would soon be her room.
My amazingly talented and thoughtful friend, Jen, made Molly a name banner for her room. It's been hanging in my dining room window for the past two weeks since it came in a package in the mail. I was reluctant to put it up, because I felt like doing so would be admitting that the room belonged to her and no one else.
But tonight, I took a thumb tack, and I pinned it to the wall. It was a small gesture, but I felt like doing it honored and celebrated my sweet girl.
Then a funny thing happened. One brave gesture gave me the courage to do something else I have been both dreading and looking forward to for months. After I tucked Molly in, I had a date with my pencils. Oh, beautiful Prismacolors, how I love you and miss you so! You may recall in a post I wrote in October when I talked about how much I wanted to draw my kids and how afraid I was to do it.
But tonight...I did it! I drew her. I'll save the mushy-gushy artist talk about the process of drawing her and what I learned for another post. (I'm even going to make you wait to see the portrait until I can get it framed...aren't I mean?!?!) This post is all about doing a little happy dance in the midst of grieving. Tonight, I celebrated the fact that Molly is my daughter and I love her. I can miss him and love her in the same breath and one doesn't take away from the other. In fact, I think it adds more meaning to both.
4 comments:
Good job, friend. Love you.
Thinking about you and the brave day you had inspired me! If you can do it, then so can I! Love you too, friend!
I'm so happy for you Megan. No, happy isn't quite the right word. I don't know what is. But it's awesome how brave you've been. Thank you for posting this. Praying for you!
Nice work, Megs. I can't believe you're waiting to show us the picture until you get it framed. That is really mean. But I'm glad you were able to get some time to draw and that you drew your beautiful little girl.
Post a Comment