Monday, October 4, 2010

Chapter 39: Bitter Sweet

Court was, as I suspected, awkward and uncomfortable with Josiah's family there.  Because we had told them that we were stopping visitation (Josiah going over to their house all day) for a short while until after this court date when we were going to revisit the issue, they were not too happy with us.  They avoided eye contact at all costs and there were a few polite "hello's" but nothing beyond that.... until it got worse.

We were called first and shuffled in like cattle into the court room.  Long story short, I heard the sweetest words I've ever heard uttered in court before when the DYFS side reported, "The bonding evaluation recommendation is for Talen to remain with the foster parents."


The victory was short-lived when I heard cursing come from Josiah's parents sitting at the table infront of us in the "important people" section, and his grandfather storming out of the court room in a huff and making a scene.  The aunt tried to stand up and defend herself and the judge wouldn't hear any of it.  I wanted to stand up and do a little happy dance, but I felt bad that it hurt the family deeply to even consider for a moment that their grandson/great-nephew might be better off staying with the people he knows as "mama" and "dada."

They scheduled another pre-trial case management court date for October 25th and the trial is still set for November 8th.  I don't think we're going to go to the next one....you'll see why in a second.

When we were leaving the court, the grandfather was sitting out in the hallway texting on his cell phone, so we rushed past him, thinking he didn't want to talk to us.  Then, muttering under his breath he says loud enough so we can hear, "Yeah.  Good Christian people."

Justin turns around and tries to defend us.  The grandfather's voice got loud, and we were accused of trying to keep Josiah from his family and now he is going to hire a lawyer to try to get custody.  It has gotten ugly.

Poor Justin beat himself up the whole way home wondering if what we did was right.  I tried reassuring him, "If someone was taking Molly, and she wasn't getting a nap the whole day, and we weren't told where she was going, would you allow visits to continue with her?"  He agreed that we wouldn't.  We really do try to have Josiah's best interest in the forefront of our mind, even if it is uncomfortable for us.

It is hard to have your character questioned, but it especially hurtful when you take the name of my Jesus and say it with disdain to label us as something we claim to be.  While I feel what we are doing is right, we aren't given the opportunity to defend ourselves, and I don't think we even should have to.

We are praying for wisdom.  Justin thought it best that because things have gotten ugly and may even turn into a custody battle, that I should no longer make my blog public for the whole world to see.  It pains me to do that.  I know that so many people pray for us and our sweet Josiah and I want to keep as many people possible in the loop so you know how to pray for us more specifically.  I also know that I probably share too much when it comes to legal stuff, and to protect us and Josiah, I know that Justin is right.

So starting Wednesday at 10:00 pm, I'm going to make my blog private.  HOWEVER, I would be HAPPY to give anyone access who asks for it.  I hope that this story and my struggle for finding God's will for our family inspires and sharpens your faith.  I want God to use our brokenness to heal others.  I covet your prayers on our behalf, but I also need to keep our family safe.

So I ask, that if you want access, please just shoot me an email.  It can be as short as, "I enjoy reading your story, and I will pray for you."  I thank you for your understanding and continued support for our family.    meganbenson81 at gmail dot com

1 comment:

allison said...

Meghan....it is hard not to be discouraged when we encounter days like today....but we fully know..that God's will is soo much different than the world's view of things. "Be strong and courageous"...God is still at work in so many lives effected by this one little boy. For today, nothing has changed.....your precious baby boy is still in your arms.....continue to put on the full armor of God and be of good faith (Hebrews 11:1)
Yes!! I would definitely love to still be prayer partners and in your update loop as our lives mirror each other in so many ways. You are a constant encouragement to me...Thank You...allison