Thursday, May 5, 2011

Paris: Part 2

Finding my way through Paris as a student....

(Yes, I know this really has nothing to do with actually going to Paris, but I imagine that being lost in a foreign country, not being able to read signs or speak the language is much like trying to navigate through life without knowing the true character of God.)  

I love to learn, and when I'm not being stubborn or lazy, I really do like to read my Bible.  It is so fun to read and let the Holy Spirit let certain words leap off the pages of text that is thousands of years old and let it speak to my heart, as if it was written only for me.

Lately, I've been reading this devotional book that I highly recommend.  


In the book, the author discusses the names of God that were used in the Old Testament like El Shadday, Elohim, Adonay, Abba, El Elyon---God Almighty, Mighty Creator, Lord, Father, God Most High.  These are names of God that speak of His character- of who He is, and then in turn, tell me who I am because of Him.  When I pray now, these are the places where I know He can be found, because these truths are grounded in Scripture, not my own opinion.  

There are other books, too that I am enjoying, like the books I have been reading for my women's Bible study.  I have an amazing group of women that I meet with every Thursday night.  It is such a wonderful time of refreshment and encouragement.  Plus, being involved in a small group setting and going through a book together adds a sense of accountability to make sure I do my "homework."  I need this.  I tend to push life's busy to-do list to the fore-front and leave my Bible dusty in the process.  So having sisters in Christ who are willing to lift up one another in prayer and come along side each other to study God's Word is so helpful for me to be the student of the Word that I know I should be.  




I think for me, being a good student means not only being a reader of truth, but a listener.  I love Christian music, and I'm a big fan of iTunes' Christian radio stations and Pandora.com. (On my Pandora, I like to listen to a lot of hymns and Chris Rice and Nichole Nordeman).  What a difference it makes in my day when I am continually feeding truth to my heart!  

Also, my pastor is an amazing preacher.  I mean C-R-A-Z-Y good.  He preaches in verse-by-verse style so it's easy to get a broad look of Scripture in the way it was written.  I love listening to his sermons when I have to cook or do dishes.     

It comes down to this: I can't find God if I don't know Him.  And how will I know Him if I am not searching for Him?  Being a student doesn't come naturally to me, so I need tools to help.      

What helps you be a good student of the Word?   

No comments: