So I thought that I would share some fun tricks we use in order to hit different learning styles to memorize Scripture.
Kinesthetic Learners
...for the movers and the shakers
It didn't take long for me to realize that Molly is a kinesthetic learner. After having her enrolled in music class for a few weeks, and seeing her pace laps around the room and bang on the heater on the beat while the other children happily sat in their mothers' laps and sang...I knew Molly wasn't the kind of "sit still, be quiet, and learn this" kind of kid. She knew how to sing all of the songs and could do all the motions, her body just needed to be actively engaged in order to soak up information. (Her daddy's the same way, and the constant leg bouncing used to drive me crazy when he sat in the desk behind me in high school.)
So here's the first thing we do....
I break up the verse into phrases, and emphasize certain words so it has some rhythm and meter.
"For the SON
of MAN
came to SEEK
and to SAVE
what was LOST."
Luke 19:10
Then we put the beat in our feet and take a walk.
We say the verse while...
- Going up and down the stairs
- I push the girls in the stroller
- Swinging on swings
- Tapping on drums when we play with instruments
- Jumping on our "jumping couch" (our free "trampoline")
Sometimes we make up motions, snap, or clap our hands or move our head to the beat. Sign language is a great tool too. Having her move her hands and arms gets her body to associate movement and rhythm with words.
Auditory Learners
..... for the "repeat after me" kid
Molly loves music, and can soak up words like a little sponge when words are sung. Sometimes I make up my own songs that go with Scripture and sometimes I find songs that I think she'll like. I came across these little gems, that are probably a little too old for her now, but I can't wait to use them in a few years...
We say the verse in a silly voice, a quiet voice, a spooky voice, a sad voice, a princess voice, a loud voice, a monster voice, a sleepy voice.... we say it together so its fun for both of us and she hears it lots and lots of times.
We make a video of her and I saying it together. Molly gets a giggle when she can say the verse along with herself. Sometimes....as you can see....it takes a little bribery.
After we have repeated our verse a lot, I start to leave out words and have her finish phrases herself.
"For the _______
of MAN
came to ______
and to SAVE
what was ______."
Luke 19:_____
After a while, I can say the first word or two, and she can finish the verse by herself.
Visual Learners
.... connecting words and images
As an art teacher, this is the kind of learning I am drawn to most. I can remember colors and pictures WAY more and far longer than I can than with just words. One of my favorite things in our house is a chalkboard I painted on our kitchen wall using chalkboard paint, a roller, and some blue painter's tape. (Costs about $15...but I think it's priceless....and did you know that chalkboard paint comes in any color you want???) I write out our verse and draw pictures for the words that have imagery. Molly is, of course, a pre-reader, but when we say our verse, I point to each word on the chalkboard, so she is starting to learn that letters make words....words make sentences....sentences make ideas...etc.
Having a visual reminder in a central place in our home not only tells Molly that this is important, it reminds me to go over our verse throughout the day when I see it. Lots of trips to the kitchen= lots of times saying our verse (more on this later.)
![]() |
| Molly wanted to learn a verse about mermaids, so this is the one I picked. She decided to add on it, so at the end she "wrote," "And Ariel and mermaids." She's getting too tall! |
Tactile Learners
... for kids who like getting their hands dirty
Projects, projects, projects. I can't tell you how many times we've glued things on things....but Molly can't get enough of it, so any time we can make a project that goes along with the verses or stories we're learning, I'm going to take advantage of it. (If you look at a few previous posts, you can see some of our projects we've done.)
A verse about the sky? Make a telescope out of a paper towel tube
A verse about kindness? Have them put band aids on stuffed animals.
A verse about obeying? Make a prize ribbon she can wear after she listens to her mommy or daddy the first time.
Be creative!
Some other tips....
Not sure what kind of "learner" your child is? Try a little of everything! See how they like to learn, and run with it.
Associate an activity you do all day long with saying a verse. Molly knows that each time she gets a drink, she has to come with me to the kitchen while I fill up her cup and recite her verse that's on the chalkboard. Pick something you already do several times a day...brushing teeth, a diaper change or potty break, wiping hands and faces after meal times, each time you go up or down stairs...it will make what is a daily mundane task meaningful.
Bathtub crayons are great for writing on the shower wall and will give you an opportunity to go over your verse during bath time. (I use this one for myself, and go over verses while shampooing my hair. Hey- it's probably the only 7 minutes of uninterrupted time I get all day, so it's a great time to practice saying them out loud.) Once you think you're starting to memorize it, try erasing a few words each day until you know it all!
Make a folder or flashcards to go over old verses. (We leave our projects up on our frame wall for a while, so that reminds us of our verses too.)
Choose verses that have visual imagery. We have done a lot of "God made" so that gives lots of ideas for fun visual projects.
Pick verses based on what interests your child, or verses about character qualities your child needs to practice (obeying parents, showing kindness, loving others...) or verses that they learn from Sunday School.
Memorize for as long as it takes for your child to learn. My first inclination was to have a "verse of the week," but lately it seems it has turned into "verse of the month," before I feel she really has it down.
And finally, use these tips to memorize Scripture yourself! I want to lead by example! Trying to teach Molly about the Bible has helped me to be more creative, to love God's word more, and to think about the God more throughout the day. What a blessing it has been to hide God's word in my own heart as I try to speak it into hers!
Deuteronomy 6:6-9“These words, which I am commanding you today, shall be on your heart. 7“You
shall teach them diligently to your sons and shall talk of them when
you sit in your house and when you walk by the way and when you lie down
and when you rise up. 8“You shall bind them as a sign on your hand and they shall be as frontals on your forehead. 9“You shall write them on the doorposts of your house and on your gates.
What other tips and tricks do you use to hide God's word into your own little's heart??? I would love for you to share your ideas!



2 comments:
Just saw a friend recently suggest you can use magnetic letters and numbers on an old cookie tray to have kids put the verses together. Works on reading as well as verses and helps visual and kinesthetic learners. : )
I love that idea! Thanks for sharing, Lynsey! I like that it's something you can put away and get out when you need it (as opposed to just putting letters on the fridge) and it's something that kids can sit down and do at a table too.
Post a Comment