Wednesday, June 6, 2012

The Heavens Declare

June proves to be a good month for teaching about God's glory.  Evening thunderstorms, warm nights, colorful sunsets, bright stars, crystal blue skies (they're all on my list of blessings.)  Nothings sets my heart into a flurry of wonder than looking up and seeing the heavens.  I hope to instill that kind of awe for God's creation in my girls, so last week, this was our verse that I wrote on our chalkboard in the kitchen:

We made this little sun to hang on our art wall in the play room.

We also made a moon with colorful star stickers, but it ended up in Daddy's office at school before I could take a picture of it.  

 We talked about sunsets and how God paints the evening sky.  (We paint a lot with water on our chalkboard wall.)

 (Sadie was more interested in our mermaid family fishbowl than learning some gospel truths.) 


And we watched this video.  Molly sat on my lap, thumb in her mouth, fingers stroke my earlobe.  While this played I whispered in her ear,  "Look at the sky!  Isn't God amazing!?!?  Look what He made us.  He must love us so much to make us something so beautiful!" And I say the verse, over and over until she can soak it all in.   Her heart just absolutely swells with music and wonder.
"Look at the pink stars!"  She says.  She also promptly pointed out Saturn to me.  (Crazy kid!) 



At dinner that night, Justin asked Molly what she did that day.  
She answered, "I saw the glory of God on mama's computer!"  Then we watched it together as a family around the dinner table while she narrated.  
   

One day before we went out on another one of our "adventure walks", she asked, "Are we going out to see the work of His hands?"  

*sigh*  I just love her.  And I praise Him for the work of His hands- for the sky and for the beautiful baby girls I tuck in each night under the stars He has made for us.  

  
(nothing like a little bribery to get her to say her verse)

What are some ways you instill wonder for God's creation with your littles?  



2 comments:

Robin said...

Megan, this is fantastic. Thanks for documenting this so I can steal all your ideas when Judah gets a little older. God is so good. And Molly is ridiculously smart.

Megan said...

Oh, Thanks, Robin! We have so much fun together! My plan in the next few weeks is to make some pre-made craft kits- So I'll just be able to pull out pre-cut shapes so we can just glue things together. She's not so good at the being patient while I prep a project. I'll make sure I post about them for you :o)