Saturday, September 10, 2011

Giraffes, Syrup, and welcoming Levi!

I LOVE animals, which is why I used to love going to the zoo.  That's not why I like to go anymore. Because as much as I like to see animals, nothing makes me happier than seeing Molly see animals.  I think the first time we went with her, I took more pictures of her looking at them than I took of the animals themselves.  (Granted, she was more interested in showing me where all the fences were.  "Look, Mama!  A fence!" was what she kept saying over and over as we strolled through the park.  It was a frustrating endeavor for me to try to help her get the best experience she could from our trip.)







The next time we went, Sadie was 2 weeks old.  (I know...am I crazy!?!?)  Sadie made it clear that she wanted no part of the zoo until she had her belly filled, so I found a shaded bench by the giraffes and fed her.  It was funny watching other people as they walked by to look at the exhibit.  When parents were with children, it was almost like they had each received the same script.

"Look!  Do you see the giraffe?!?!"  (Finger outstretched in the air.)  "Look at his long neck!  Do you see it?"

"Of course they see it," I thought to myself.  "It's 15 feet high and right in front of them.  Stop treating your kid like an idiot."  But of course, after I was done feeding Sadie, I scooped Molly up in my arms and said the exact same thing to her.

It is a natural human desire to have the people you love experience what you love at the same time you are.

It is no different with friends.  I want my friends to love what I love, which is why it is often painful to have a relationship with someone who deserves what you have.  It's like sitting next to your friend and both of you are eating the best pancakes in the world, except you get to enjoy it with syrup and they don't.  It doesn't matter if they taste good. You can't possibly enjoy the pancakes as much as you would like to, knowing that your friend isn't able to enjoy them fully.

It was like that with my friend, Jen.  She never would want me to feel guilty for having what I have.  I loved watching her with Molly and Sadie, mostly because I knew how much she loves them.  Still, there is that aching feeling of knowing what an amazing mother she is and watching God continually make her long for the thing she desires most.



...and then, she called me last week to tell me that her son was born and that she and her husband, Micah, were flying out to Oklahoma to get him!  I had a hard time focusing on anything for the next few days, and spent this whole week checking her facebook and blog for any updates or pictures.  (I'm sure I wasn't the only one.) :o)      



This may be a very selfish way of looking at things, but I have no other way to explain it.  My world is a happier place knowing that my friend is happier in it, and knowing that she gets to show the best of that world to her son, Levi.



Maybe one day we can take Molly, and Sadie, and Levi to the zoo together and watch their faces as they watch the giraffes.    

God is good.  And life is plate-lickin' sweet.

2 comments:

Megan said...

Yes yes yes! You've said it so well.

Robin said...

So exciting!! Yay, Levi!! Also, this is one of your best written posts ever.